Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A lot of ground to cover.

Wow I just found its snowing in Western Mass. I know its been snowing in Vermont but that's to be expected. Not Mass though. I'm excited really. Its no secret how I feel about winter so there's no need to post again.

I however do object to the Christmas lights that already adorn my parent's neighboring condo. I mean damn, that's two months away. Are you getting the pool ready for July 4th on May 4th? Men are you really thinking Anniversary presents two months prior to the event? Women are you drawing attention to your Birthday that early. No its silly. I understand some holiday cheer and spirit, but you think that the holiday has become too commercial? No its really become too competitive. Who can play the first Christmas song? Who's got the first ad on TV? Who's the first station to go all Christmas format? Oh look there's the egg nog in the dairy section. I think the constant quest to be the first is spreading the season to thin, because you know it doesn't end on 25th of December. Soon its January and before you know it the entire 3 months one quarter of the year if not more has been devoted to this endeavor. For all its efforts was it truly worth it? Just something to ask yourself while you are stressing this year for the perfect gift and wrapping. Is it all worth your time, sanity and health to be stressing over this or would your efforts be better spent in maybe actually investing in yourself and your family and truly be thankful for what it is that you have rather than what it is that you think you need. No amount of tinsel, baked goods, turkey, garland, or nog is going to make up all those months of frustration. So this year my challenge to you is to enjoy the season for what it is, nothing more. Save the frustration and stress and stop looking to solve an issue with materialistic ventures. Think heart felt in your gifts if you can afford them, and don't let your neighbors push you into the latest inflatable snow man. Personally I'd rather forgo a gift and share in your company this season than to know you spent more than you can afford on a credit card.

On to subject number two. I admit there are times I can be mistaken, and there are times when I can be out right wrong. Can circumstances of a given time cloud the overall perception of something or someone? Yes. Can someone change over a course of time? Yes. Is it possible that two people with differing opinions on matters function together. Yes. Why am I saying all this? Because its true, and in my time on this planet I have seen a great many things change. No greater a change can come though than from one's own mind. There are always going to be disagreements, some may get heated, hell that shows passion. You do yourself a disservice though if you let that moment define an idea or a relationship. I am afraid I may have done just that. For that I apologize. In tough times a good ally is one that can keep you on your toes and provide an alternating perspective. Its that future I am looking forward to today.

On to subject number three. Ah hell who am I kidding. I'm tired and I'll save it for another day. Good night everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, where to start:
    1: Amen brother, good call on the xmas 3 months WAY to fregging early.
    2: Egg nog should be sold ALL year round.
    3: I'm taking you up on your spending time idea for presents, the cats do miss you and all.
    4: Xmas lites look best circling the ceiling of a dorm room.
    5: You are cryptic in that last paragraph, something I should know?
    6: Would you actually CALL ME BACK one of these days???? =)

    ReplyDelete