Monday, March 29, 2010

All in Oats

So I'm fighting something.  I know its not a flu because it did not hit like one; just an annoying runny nose, soar throat, and stiffness.  So its a cold, oh colds You Make My Dreams so weird.  Initially I couldn't remember what I had dreamed about last night until I revisited the Tivo and was reminded of exactly how much the show Merlin I saw the day before.  Apparently all night I was casting rather boring spells.  Oh well it gave me a chance to be up early in the morning and make breakfast.  Since Dave was getting up as well I thought it would be nice if I would make him a nice hot meal to start off this cold rainy day.  

No stuffed french toast, designer pancakes, or yummy sausage.  I'm no Rich Girl, so today oatmeal is on the menu.  Nothing out of the box with the well meaning quaker guy and no instant. I Can't Go For That.  Time for a little Adult Education.  Most instant oatmeals are full of sugar,a surprising amount of salt and a sting of ingredients you can't recognize.  You don't have time? Please, Say It Isn't So.  Yes I admit that it takes longer to prepare oatmeal from scratch than those Did It In A Minute brands, but its so worth it since you can control what goes in it.  I choose to use a brand of Irish cut oats, they are thicker than instant and when cooked have a little bite to them.  

My favorite is to cut up some apples and fry them up with a little cinnamon and Maple syrup.  When the oatmeal is done just fold the fruit into the oats and enjoy.  Another great combination is Banana with Cinnamon and brown sugar.  Regular oats are tastefully and nutritionally better for you, and since the oats are a whole grain and not the powdered flakes your digestive track will be working on it longer so you will feel fuller longer.  Still think I'm  Out of Touch with what it takes to get up and go to work in the morning?  Fine here's a recipe from one of my favorites people; Alton Brown:

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried figs
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half

Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.
Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.
Have kids? Prepare this at night, its better than any pop tart you could buy.  

Yes I know I forgot Maneater, and Private Eyes but you can make it topically appropriate in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment