Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shorts

I remember a little over 10 years ago when I was attending college in upstate Vermont we would get these random days in March where everything would just thaw.  It was the onset of Vermont's fifth season, Mud Season.  How was this occasion marked?  Well the temperature would get to about 50 degrees and suddenly you would see shorts cropping up around campus.  Still a little chilly for you southern folk I know but for us it was a heat wave.  Windows were opened and even though there may have been a foot of snow on the ground, and there would be in all likelihood another round of snow coming until May, we would be out celebrating.  Hell classes were even skipped so that people could just go outside and enjoy it.  

Today feels like one of those days; at least it does down here in JC where it just reached 70F.  In fact I'm wearing shorts, sneakers and a polo right now with the windows open.  I know next week it will be back into the 40's but until that time I am going to enjoy it.  This weekend I really have no plans and the forecast is to be around 70 degrees and sunny both days.  While I may not have Lake Willoughby to visit I do want to get outside and enjoy the weather before it disappears for awhile.  Who knows what we will do.  Even if we just get outside at the local Biergarten I will be happy.

Beware though.  My father, who although lacks the training of an official Meteorologist and does not have the trick knee that can predict rain like the old-timers in the mountains, has weighed in on this summer's forecast.  His prediction is hurricanes and lots of them, right up the East Coast.  My father may not have the eccentricities of official weather forecasters but that is more than made up for in accuracy.  Normally Dad is correct when it comes to predicting the type of winter we will be having and when he announces something about hurricanes you may want to just listen.  So even though last year we may not have had a summer, watch out this year because there just may be a storm a coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment