Sunday, January 18, 2009

So I'm 32, What's new with you?

So another year older, fortunately the passing of this birthday also seems to be coinciding with some marked improvements in health. I no longer need my Nebulizer to breathe. My cough is almost gone. I have a lot more energy and no more pain in my lungs. In a few ways this birthday managed to pull off what others have failed miserably at. And that is to not suck. If you need to know more you can read here. Since that list was posted in 2007 the Doomsday Clock was set to five minutes to midnight due to North Korea's Nuclear testing and in 2008 we lost Bobby Fischer of chess fame.

What did 2009 bring? Well as far as world events go I believe they may have been pretty tame. My weekend has been less than innocent. My birthday festivities started early actually on Friday night as I was at a friends house in Newton when it was realized it was after midnight and technically the 17th. Melanie announced to all that it was now in fact my birthday, and I was treated to a celebratory half-yard of beer. I must admit I did a good job downing it, without the spillage and purging that befell some of my other rivals. Wii and Rockband dominated the night but not before I was introduced to a lovely party game called flip cup. I must say I always knew Melanie and I were talented but with Chuck we just dominate.

Making up for lost time over the past few weeks this was going to be a late night so when the option to continue the evening into the morning presented itself I was all game. 3:30 AM is decidedly the best time to visit an IHOP not just for the culture but also because its when the food tastes the best. Finally I strolled into my bedroom at about 5 AM and didn't wake until noon. I woke to find myself still clothed from the night before and in need of water and some ibuprofen. Not cause of a hangover mind you but because of Boxing and Tennis on the Wii that caused my shoulder to kill. Anyways it was a few short hours later I was on my way to Providence to meet up with Dan.

He was at Tom's house and upon arrival I learned that he had been making homemade sauce from scratch since 11 that day. Let me tell you it was the best damn smell I've experienced in a while. I wanted to stick my face in the pot it was so good. I'll refrain from telling what was in it for risk of upsetting my Saucier boyfriend, but I will let you know it was the best sauce I have ever had. (sorry Greg) Complete with Fresh pasta and a homemade bruschetta made with roasted tomatoes, garlic, yellow peppers and eggplant it will easily be the best meal of 2009. Of course music and company were just as pleasant. Finally a birthday worth remembering. We ended up going out later for drinks and ended up at the Providence Eagle which was pretty cool. Here another first was achieved. It was the first time in 10 years that I voluntarily requested a shot of Jack Daniel's. After a rather traumatic experience ( a blog for another day) in college I would recoil even from the mere smell of the elixir but last night put an end to that moratorium. What was also amazing was that for the second night in a row I got to see someone vomit. Oh dear. Some people just can't hold their liquor.

Heading to bed I had made some tentative plans to go to Mohegan Sun but those plans were quickly dashed when morning came and the snow fell. Having taken two hours to drive back to Boston from Providence it was decided to postpone the festivities. But even that could not put a spoil on a rather successful birthday weekend. This week will prove to be busy but also historic. I am looking forward to Tuesday with much excitement. While most likely it will transpire like any Tuesday before, but it will also go down in history as we swear in our new president. So here's to the end of a successful birthday weekend and a new era.

1 comment:

  1. I must say, I am impressed at your ability to actually touch JD after that infmous nite, which I might note ultimately lead to my marraige to Tina..... at least my drunken hitting on her could be seen a the start to the wedded bliss we now enjoy. =)

    However, I think if we are to officially lift the ban on JD, then we at least need to do the shots in the now infamous "starfleet shot glasses" that got us into such trouble in the first place. I still remember puking my brains out after Loseby's class the next day.....

    ReplyDelete