Sunday, December 9, 2007

Confesssions of an Introvert

So while in Chicago I attended my conference about Leading with Emotional Intelligence. I got alot out of it. I'll impart some knowledge here and there at times in my blog, but the important thing that I realized is that yes I am introverted. That doesn't mean though that I can't be a good leader. For years I thought I was just shy and had problems with social situations but over the past few months I have come to realize that this just isn't so. I like group situations and need to be social but I need to have time to myself as well. Its just how I recharge sometimes. I need to be with my own thoughts sometimes, and as it turns out there is a whole train of thought around Extroversion and Introversion. How the brain actually operates differently. Do you know that a persons IQ is set by the time they are 7. You see IQ is not the measure of how smart you are, its the measure of your capacity to learn. With years of training and study you can expect to increase your IQ by only a point or two. Your personality is the same way. Imagine that 7 years old and its set. If that isn't motivation for early childhood development I don't know what is.

So the class teaches you about your own Emotional Intelligence and how to deal with others. Because lets face it most people walking around today are Emotional time bombs, and if those people are going to work for your company you are going to want to know how to work with them. One of the keys is knowing yourself and to better understand that I took the Myers-Briggs test and sure enough it was pretty damn accurate. Essentially it determines your personality types. My score of INFJ plants me as having the temperament of an idealist specifically as a Counselor. What does that mean? Follow the link for Counselor. You want to find out what type you? This seems to be a good online test to take. Its kind of interesting to find these things out about yourself and see how you place. I was surprised to find that only about 2% of the people who took the test got my results.

OK enough for now. I'll chat with you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment