Friday, August 17, 2007

A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart.

Quote from Jonathan Swift.

Well I had an interesting thing happened to me yesterday. I stopped into a CVS with my friend Melanie. While leaving I noticed a Sovereign Bank ATM. I figured that would be a good thing to remember since that is my bank and the other ATM's charge me a nice little fee to use them. As we were walking by though I noticed that there was money dispensed just sitting there in the tray. I went up and saw that there was a perfectly crisp $20 bill sitting there. My initial reaction was SCORE, but as quickly as it hit me it left. This was not my money and I had no right to walk off with it. I had visions of it belonging to an old woman who is on a fixed income coming back to collect once she realized her error, but it was just as likely that it could have belonged to some jerky teenager. The point that my mind set on was that it was not mine, so despite the fact that the line for the cashiers was long and I could have easily walked out the door free of repercussions I could not do it. So I what seemed like 10 minutes to give the money to someone. A guy in line who has being particularly difficult the cashier started paying attention to me, while I finally got the attention of another cashier. I told her what I found and where and she looked at me with this blank stare "as if to say what do you want me to do about it?" I said maybe you should give it to your manager and if anyone comes around looking for a $20 they misplaced you know who it belongs too. Sometimes I wonder about the next generation doesn't seem like the synapses are firing all the time. I gave her the money and walked away. For all I know she could have treated herself to a nice lunch who knows the point is it was not mine and I did the best I could. If I had taken it I would have felt guilty and it would have just been bad Karma, so for me it was a no brainer.

While Melanie and I were leaving the gentleman who has giving the cashier a hard time behind the counter came out of the store an called to me. Not sure of who was speaking to me and what they wanted I turned and saw him walking to his car. He said "I can't believe you waited in line for all that. I would have just taken the damn thing. Someone should write a story about you." Well I thought about it and decided to write it hear. Yes it does seem a bit self serving, but I am hoping that it will provide the catalyst for someone else to do a good gesture, regardless of the fact that I don't know if the $20 got back to its owner. The point is I made the effort and if more effort was made on a conscious level to do small gestures like that, then this world may be a better place. Who knows maybe the jerk at the counter won't be so rude next time. I can only hope.

Also need to mention that last night I went to a restaurant in Maynard called Monsoon. Finally after years of searching I can say that this place had the best recipe I have ever had for butter chicken. To those of you not familiar its an Indian Dish that I absolutely fell in love with over in England a few years back. I had yet to find a place stateside that would do it justice until last night. While everything was good, the chicken stole the show for me.

Anyways this weekend brings some adventures, I will be making a short film and visiting the Museum of Fine Arts to see the Edward Hopper exhibit. This is its last weekend so if anyone wanted to see it you better get a move on. I heard its next stop is MOMA and unless you want to truck all the way out to Western Ma you better get a move on.

Take care for now.

1 comment:

  1. Us bankers would have taken it and called it a finders fee....

    ReplyDelete