Tuesday, January 2, 2007

New year, old issues . . . and why Vegan food is not bad at all

Why is it that we (or at least I) magically think that just because it is a new year things will get better. Now I'm not talking about anything tragic, but I fully intended to start the new year off right when I came into work today. I was greeted with all the same problems I left with, plus now I have the added hastle of putting '06 on everything and having to rewrite it.
Alright enough griping as I am seriously committed to my new year's resolutions, paramount to them was having more fun, and griping does not equal fun. Recently I had a very positive experience with a friend of mine. Nikki is a vegan (who now incidentally is trying to be macrobiotic {good luck}) She has introduced to a whole bunch of foods prepared in the vegan style and I'll say they are delicious. Now I have a cousin who married a vegan so he became one too and he has lost alot of weight. Now mind you they were eating alot of weird things as you would think on a diet such as this, but really it does not have to be that weird.
I dare anyone to put their brownies up against the "Banana Split Brownies" I had the other day. Seriously they were the best I had ever tasted, and it was vegan so no milk, eggs, or butter. So now I'm going to be getting a new cookbook (as they are an obsession of mine) entitled Vegan with a Vengeance. I'm not going totally vegan but it does fit into my new way of wanting to eat better. Now it will be easier to get the organic food as well since Brian will be working at Whole Foods and gets a nice discount. It's like we are in heaven. Now we just need to get a kitchen of our own to cook in.
I miss cooking which became evident the other day when we went out to eat with Nikki and Mario to the Elephant Walk. www.elephatntwalk.com Its a very nice restaurant with three locations in Boston, Cambridge and Waltham. I can only judge from the Waltham locations but it was fabulous. Not just fabulous but Fucking FABULOUS!!! There menu there is a combination of both French and Cambodian. For those of you not in the know, during the French Colonial Empire the area that is now Cambodia was once known as French IndoChina. Learn about that here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Indo-China
Apart from that they also have a vegan menu, which most of us decided to partake in. I'll try anything once. Nikki and Brian got a Vegetarian Somlah Kako which is "A hearty Cambodian stew with Butternut and Asian Squashes, snow peas, spinach, yukon gold potatoes in a fragrant broth of lemongrass, galangal, and toasted rice powder". It was excellent. I on the other hand got the Organic Tofu Amrita which is "Organic tofu, flash fried and sauteed in a lightly sweet Cambodian satay sauce with button mushrooms, onion, scallion and red bell pepper". It was absolutely incrdible.
Even if you are not vegan its a good place to check out. Thats enough blogging for one day. Hope you like!
Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment